Agile organizations are on the rise. We also talk about agile methods, agile operations, liberated business. What about the job of manager? How is it transformed under the constraint of agility? To increase the virtuous circle of ThKs within your organization, it is necessary that an agile and caring manager accompanies your employees. Here you will find the key skills of the manager who “builds” the future with his team.
Here are 7 points of support for you muscle in agility, to work every day …
1. Give meaning in a flexible and uncertain environment
- In a changing context, in which even the reference structures are renewed and the teams with variable geometry, the agile manager is there to bring authenticity and meaning.
- Being fair and authentic in one’s behavior and relationship with one’s team reinforces one’s own legitimacy.
- Knowing how to communicate about the changes of headings, the decisions questioned, and being able to accompany them to the collaborators, gives the manager the dimension of a leader.
Trust is not decreed, it is observed by the teams through the behavior of the manager. To trust is to be able to delegate, to give each person or team new fields to explore and encourage initiatives.
3. Being able to humility
The agile manager accompanies more than he directs. His status is based on his ability to hear and listen before being heard. He can not adopt a posture of knowing. He succeeds if he knows how to say “he does not know,” and if he invites his collaborators to participate in his reflections.
4. Make decisions
To be in an agile position is to be decisive, the prevarications block the action and therefore the agility of a team. In this new way of being, making decisions involves accepting one’s own field of error and recognizing when one has made a mistake.
It is the action that proves, you will be exemplary and followed if you lead actions favorable to change. The spectrum is infinite: acting to change relational habits, act to modify processes, act to test new ways of working …
6. Listen (really) to his collaborators
- The really is fundamental. In management courses we learn that we must listen to our interlocutors. Ask yourself the question, over the last week: “When did I really listen by being totally present at the moment that was happening, observing the other, leaving silences so that he could reflect, not thinking about what I forgot to do or what I have to do.
- An exercise for you every day: take 10 minutes and replay the film of your day to question you on these different points
7. Be optimistic
To be optimistic is not to be naive, on the contrary! It is to be able to analyze the ins and outs of a situation or project and to consider (with intellectual agility) the right way to approach it. Your goal is to build something useful and meaningful for teams and partners.
Being an agile manager
Being an agile manager means applying to differences, working with the team you have. Understand the issues of his own management or his peers. Being agile means making decisions consciously and assuming them. This to be able to turn rivalries or difficulties into models or opportunities
I invite you to reflect on your wish for agility, with the wisdom of a great poet: René Char. “We live with a few acres of the past, the gay lies of the present and the furious cascade of the future.”